6.06.2011

Disney, Daddy's Loaded Down


Well hopefully you are an avid follower, or just joining us, and read Saturdays post about the rides at Disney pertaining to kids and pregnant women.  One thing that hasn’t been discussed is the Sherpa’s you see all around the park.  Now by Sherpa’s, you probably guessed it, I am talking about all of the dads. 
For our journey to the parks every day, we would always put everything we needed in our baby Sherpa backpack.  This is probably my favorite item as it has room for tons of items and even a little cooler on the bottom.  In the cooler part would go 6-8 bottles of water.  The top part consisted of diapers, wipes, handheld camcorder, our DSLR camera, snacks etc, you get the point.  By the end of packing all of our “necessities” for the day, the bag would weigh 30 lbs.  I would sling it on my back, put our two boys in the sit and stand stroller, and head out the door.  Now with 30 lbs on the back and pushing 80 lbs worth of kids plus the weight of the stroller, I had a feeling the days were going to be long.  Boy was I right.  The strollers had to be folded up on any shuttle bus or type of transportation you would ride.  Boys out of stroller, fold up, load on bus and hold it the whole ride.  Again not a big issue but my littlest would always seem to want me to hold him on the bus ride.  Once at the park on our first day, I had to chuckle seeing all of the other dads.  They were outfitted just like me, a Sherpa.  Backpacks, shopping bags and strollers galore.  I would also see many dads, including me, carrying all of these items with a child on the shoulders.

The week we were there just so happened to be a week when the Orlando area would receive a record heat wave.  Mid to upper 90’s every day and sunny.  We rarely ever saw a cloud in the sky for a whole week.  Now I know it’s hot there but this is a little odd for the middle of May.  But with all the heat, the weight of the backpack and kids in the stroller, do you think I lost any weight?  Hell no.  I think I actually gained an ounce or two due to the Disney Dining Plan.  I am not going to explain the DDP to you, if you are not a consistent follower, I will reference you to our previous post on May 31st that has to do with Dining at Disney.
Basically I just want to say thanks to all of the dad’s out there who sacrifice and would do anything for their family.  Even if that backpack was 80 lbs, I would strap it on to make my family happy and comfortable knowing they have what they need.
Well father’s day is in two weeks, so if you know of a dad, new or seasoned, I highly recommend looking at getting him a Baby Sherpa backpack.  They come in a few colors, even camo.


Happy early Father’s Day!!!!

Steve ✈

5 comments:

Denise McDonough said...

steve great post! and you are an awesome dad! and the DDP s simply amazing!


I found you at the KdBuggie blog hop! Hope you can stop by my blog... http://mommy2nanny3doggy1.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I want to go to Disney!!!!!

Unknown said...

Sounds like an adventure :D That's cool of you to do all that for your family - hope your Father's Day is the best one yet! :) Following you - can't wait to read more!

I really like your blog - I'm trying to get mine off the ground and was wondering if you could come check it out and consider following.

http://www.guitartrump.blogspot.com/

Hope you have an *amazing* day! :)

Alex

Mama "B" said...

Steve, I loved the post! Great!!!!! The pic is great also.

Shabby Chic Mom said...

I love disney and I'm always glad my hubby is there to carry our boy when he zonks out!

following you from monday mingle!
http://www.bragallaboutit.com/