12.22.2010

These are a few of my favorite things! Traditions

There are so many things I love about Christmas.  I love the smell of pine, fresh cut trees and garland.  I am allergic to real trees, but I still love the smell.

I love listening to Christmas music from the moment it comes on the radio until it's no longer played, I listen to it.

I can't go without watching some Christmas classics like The Christmas Story, National Lampoon's Christmas vacation, Charlie Brown's Christmas, Rudolph, Frosty, The Santa Clause and Prep and Landing, it is so tinsel!!!












Decorating the inside and outside of the house, new Christmas pj's, and reading books like these

I laugh hysterically at this one!

Making Christmas cookies, well cookies for Christmas like the ones I'm posting on tomorrow's blog. Eating candy canes and enjoying a White Christmas are all traditions I want to pass along to my boys, though I can't control the weather.

Our Christmas Eve dinner is something I can't live without.  We have seafood on Christmas Eve.  In Italian families, there is the Feast of the 7 fishes, which you can read about  here.  We don't go by the 7 exact fishes, but we try our best to pass this tradition on.

I have saved the most important parts of Christmas until last.  The things that I want to most instill into my children.  The reason we celebrate Christmas, Christ our Savior's birth.  If it weren't for him, we wouldn't have a reason to celebrate.

Being with family, we may not be able to be home with our parents, but we are parents now, so showing our children how important it is to be with family on a holiday and making our own traditions give them a foundation.

Teaching my children the importance of giving over receiving is a big part of the Christmas season.  Letting them know that you are making others happy, which gives you a good feeling inside, and being able to see the joy on others' faces is worth the money you spend on the gift.

The last thing that I love, love, love is seeing the joy on my little boys faces on Christmas morning.   When they see the gifts under the tree.  The awe when the lights are lit, they get to the bottom of the steps, turn the corner and see the presents is AWE-MAZING!  Last year I was so excited, I woke up Da Freakout and let him know Santa had come.  I couldn't help myself!  His face was priceless, and I look forward to it every year now.   I don't care if there is one gift under the tree for myself, just as long as my babies are happy, though I do love Steve's face too!

I hope everyone is ready, or almost ready for this weekend, it's going to be here before we know it, and then it will be gone.  Slow down, take a breath and enjoy the days to come.  Our little ones will only be small for a short time, enjoy them while you can.

Happy Wednesday and we'll see you back tomorrow for a yummy cookie recipe, or two.

Love, BJ

6 comments:

Ron Cooper said...

Happy holidays! I’ve been following your neat blog from Wandering Wednesday. My Facebook page “Inspire” has inspiring messages. Stop by!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Inspire/338562522284?ref=ts

Mass Hole Mommy said...

Ours is to watch a Christmas Story! LOVE that movie.

Carol E Wyer said...

Hi! I've hopped from the Midweek Mingle hop. I want to spend Christmas at your house it sounds so much fi=un...living with The Grinch himself I doubt I'll be able to watch DVDs but I put Boney M's Christmas CD on today and he even sang along for a while until he saw me looking at him. I have added myself as your newest follower.
Please drop by and maybe follow me if you fancy a laugh. I'd be delighted to welcome you.
Friendly wishes from a very snowy and cold UK
Carol from www.facing50withhumour.blogspot.com
– the blog that gives you laughter lines. (Has that put you off?)

Caitlin of Spare Bedroom Studio said...

Hi there! Found your fun blog through blog hop!

Check out my Holiday Blog Hop here:

http://sparebedroomstudio.blogspot.com/

Share holiday traditions while Hoppin' from blog to blog :)

Danielle said...

I just stopped by to do a little relaxing and blog hopping. I am your newest follower and can be found at The Mommy Chronicles

Have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy Holidays

Danielle

Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by. I am returning the follow!

http://kelleyhautemom.blogspot.com