12.07.2010

Reindeer shirt

 Last week I had a request for a easy Christmas shirt for a boy.  I find shopping for my boys very difficult, because there is nothing cute out there for them. You can find endless amounts of adorable clothes for girls, but nada for boys.  So it took me less than a day to come up with this cute and really easy shirt for my handsome little men.  It took very little supplies and it cost less than $10.00.  This is what you'll need.
-shirt
-1/2 yard brown fabric
-bell
-googly eyes
-brown puff paint
-heat and bond
-hot glue and gun



I have the worst time tracing my sons hands.  They don't keep them still long enough to get a good hand print, so I decided to use my printer that has a copier to copy their hands and presto, a perfect hand and foot print.  You'll need both hands and one foot.

Once I had this done, I cut it out, laid it on my fabric and cut the fabric, like this.


After this step you have to put the heat and bond on the fabric.  If you've never used it, it has the directions on the package, it's really easy.
Once the heat and bond is on the fabric, you can iron it on your shirt.

The puff paint is the next step, follow the outline of the hands and foot/head.  Let it dry for 24 hours before adding the eyes and nose. 
I hot glued the eyes to the shirt, which could be a choking hazard, so please be careful!  Then I safety pinned the bell for the nose. 
If you know how to applique, you could do that for the eyes, nose and outline, but I haven't perfected that yet. 
Here is the finished product.  I hope you enjoy and your little guys look as handsome as mine. 


 Let me know what you think of this idea or if there is anymore you want to try. 
*For a little girl, just add a bow to the antlers.

Happy Crafting!!

Love, BJ


3 comments:

Sharla said...

Really cute idea! I've never seen anything like it before. They will also make great treasures as your boys get bigger because you will have a record of how tiny their hands used to be!

Unknown said...

I am visiting from the weekend wander blog hop. Very cute blog you have! I really like the reindeer shirt, very clever!

Fiona said...

I can't believe it!! It is such a great idea!