1.03.2011

Handmade Height Chart

So, my big boys are sick, AGAIN.  Which means Manday is being postponed today.  So I decided to give you a little craft project idea, that I love.


When we first moved into the current house, my oldest son was six months old.  We decided that we were going to start one of those "height charts" on the wall.  We started when when he was 11 months old, when he started walking, and so the pencil marks began.


One day while flipping through the only magazine I get, Whole Living, I found a great idea.  A hanging, portable, height chart, so now if we ever move, I will always have the little marks that were where each of my children stood.


What you'll need:
Burlap (I got 3 yards, my husband is 6'4", the boys are going to be tall)
Dowel rod (optional)
Needle
Thread
Cardstock
safety pins


Step 1- fold burlap over dowel rod
Step 2- Stitch burlap together
Step 3- Select and cut size, shape and color of cardstock
Step 4- Write child's name and month on cardstock
Step 5- Measure sweet angel
Step 6- Use pin and tag to preserve height


We put marks for visual reference at each foot mark.  It's also a way to know that those heights are accurate.





For all of the parents out there that move for their jobs, you'll never have to worry about leaving marks on walls from house to house, and you won't have to buy one of those pricey charts.  You can make this practical, cheap chart to always have with you.  Hope you enjoy.  Let me know how it works for you.


Love, BJ

7 comments:

Jenny said...

Following you! Found you on the blog hop!
http://blissfullbaby.blogspot.com/

Sandie lee said...

Hi I'm your newest follower from Magical Monday Blog Hop.

Would love a follow back at; http://cupofromance.blogspot.com

Sandie lee

Crystal said...

Hey girl- here from FTLOB. I have 4 boys...so I love to look at blogs from mamas of boys. THe idea of being crafty beckons me....but when it comes down to it, I'm not as crafty as I'd like to be. This is a great idea, though! Wish I had it...12 years ago when my oldest was born. Now we just have permanent marker on the wall. Great visiting you!

Melissa said...

Hello! Thanks for stopping by Simple As 1-2-3 and for leaving a comment! I am your newest follower hope you will stop by and follow Simple As 1-2-3

http://simpleas1-2-3.blogspot.com/

Kim said...

What a great idea!! We are about to move into a new house and were wondering what we were going to do for a height chart there... We took the measurements from the old house and wrote them on a paper.

Thanks for the follow .. following you back now

http://www.at-home-with-mom.blogspot.com

Christy said...

I love this. Thanks for sharing and joining the Tuesday Train.

Unknown said...

Hi! Just stopping by from the Say Hi Sunday Blog Hop. I'd love it if you'd come vist and follow me too at my new giveaway blog, Swagtastic Mama!

Such a cute idea! I may have to borrow it for my kids. :)