7.01.2011

Kids 4th of July Firecracker Shirt

Of course you've heard me complain that I can never find any cute shirts for my boys.  I guess that for 4th of July that wouldn't be an exception.  I checked Target, and they had NOTHING, Old Navy had a few, but I didn't like the sayings, so of course I had to make my own.

So I headed to Hobby Lobby for the shirts, you can't beat their 2.99 price, esp. if they are on sale 1/2 off.  I got a small piece of 4th of July fabric, I actually had it in the bottom of my scrap pile of fabric, solid red and blue to match the printed fabric and a small tube of glitter puff paint, you will also need Heat and Bond.

I attempted to cut the fabric with my Cricut, but figured out really quickly that it CAN'T do it, it snagged the fabric and started to destroy it.

First put your Heat and Bond on your three pieces of fabric.  It's much easier to put it on before cutting the fabric and it stabilizes it too.  I cut 6 rectangles in different sizes.

 I had some leftover stars from my condiment carrier so I used those as stencils.  I used the 2" size and the 1" size.  I traced the stars on the solid fabric with an disappearing ink pen, then cut them out.


I drew and cut out several stars just in case they didn't look all that great so I had a few to choose from.  Amazingly you could even see the stars on the dark fabric I used.

Place the rectangles and stars on the shirts where you want them.  Iron them on the desired place.  Use the puff paint to outline the stars to help hold them down.  Draw lines to the star and here is my final project.
my little firecrackers!

Have a Fabulous Friday all!


3 comments:

Ixy said...

Wow! Nice job. I have a little girl and have often noticed that her clothing options are much nicer than the boys.

Lucy The Valiant said...

So cute!! I love these!

Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas said...

these are soooooo cute! LOVE them! you should link this up to the Sunday Showcase! Share your talented idea my friend :)