7.18.2011

How to be more Patient


Well….I’m listening.  Is there an answer?
There are no answers here, just things I am trying to do to become more patient.  I’d like to think overall that I am pretty patient but it just depends on the situation.  Maybe one day its traffic, the next it’s my job.  The number one thing that makes me lose it for sure though is my boys.  



I don’t know what it is, but I am going to try and figure it out.  I give them everything they could possibly ever need or even want.  Maybe I am expecting a little too much out of them, especially the older one.  I of course am speaking of Da freakout who is now 5.  With a nickname of Da Freakout, it’s a wonder how I have not been to the hospital yet on one of these.



Every time he is asked to do something it’s like a nuclear meltdown in the house or wherever we may be.  



It may be that he is still too young to understand some of the things that are asked of him.  After 10 times of telling him to pick up his toys or straighten the playroom up, he still doesn’t.  Maybe I need to tell him an 11th time.  At some point he will listen, it’s just a matter of time.
Here are a few things that I am going to try:
  1. Counting to 10 – I will just close my eyes and count slowly in my head.  Hopefully the thing that made me mad or frustrated will slowly disappear from my mind.  But counting out loud to 10, will give the boys a chance to escape.  Decisions….decisions.
  2. Take a few deep breaths.  Simple enough just close my eyes and breathe deeply and exhale all that frustration.
  3. Walk away- it sounds simple but may end up being the most effective.  Out of sight out of mind for a few minutes.  Combine with deep breathes;  this may be the way to go.
  4. Laugh it off – sometimes things happen so often that it becomes comical.  When this happens I will try to just laugh.
  5. Give love – things will happen where there truly is an accident.  When this happens I will just wrap the boys up in a hug and assure them things will be ok.
These are not cures, just things I am going to practice.  They seem simple enough in concept, now I just have to execute them when the crap hits the fan.  



Please share the things that cause you to lose your patience and possible ways to calm down before blowing a gasket.
Steve

3 comments:

Cami said...

If I start losing my patience with someone - I remind myself that I've never been in their shoes (obviously) so I don't know what it's like to me them - maybe they're acting like that for a certain reason. (Weird, I know...but true.)

<3-Cami

S Dupree said...

I also need to learn patient. I get upset when things don't go the way I want, when I want it. Life just does not work that way!

New follower from the Monday blog hop.

iphonemom.blogspot.com

Rachel said...

I get frustrated at work because my co-workers act like two year olds. I've learned the best thing to do is just sit at my desk and take deep breaths. I need a few minutes to calm down before I confront them.

Good luck!!

:)
Rach