10.10.2011

Simple Halloween Pumpkin Craft

Instead of always going out and buying decorations for different holidays, its more fun and satisfying if you make your own.  This halloween is no exception.  This halloween pumpkin craft is simple, fast and looks good on a counter or mantle.  There are minimal steps involved, coupled with a small amount of supplies which are probably lying around your house.  Now lets get the rest of the husbands involved and start cutting some wood!

Here are the materials you will need:
Chop saw
Sander
Drill with 1/2" bit
4"x4" (how ever long you want for different size pumpkins)
1/2" dowel rod for stem (again length will depend on how long you want stems)
Green Wire
Paint (surprisingly I went with a color called pumpkin)
Paint brush

First thing you have to do is decide how long you want your pumpkins.  I did not measure
 anything just eyeballed and cut this extra 4"x4" I had lying around.


I made different lengths that reflected the size of my family which includes my wife, 3 sons and myself.




Next, sand the blocks as much as you want.  I take my time to ensure there will be no 
splinters since the boys like to touch them.


When finished sanding, pick your paint color and have at it.  Since this is a pumpkin
some kind of orange is in order.


When they are finished drying, drill a 1/2" hole in the top.


Cut the dowel rod to the length of your choice and place in the 1/2" hole.


With a hammer, tap the dowel rod into place.  No glue is needed as this 
provides a very snug fit.


Wrap green wire around stem and place wherever you wish.




We decorated the mantle and kept with the halloween theme.  They look great next
to the spider bowl.  You can find out how to make the spider bowl here.

Well I hope this inspired you to make your own halloween pumpkins to match your family!! Have a great time decorating and making your pumpkins.

Steve 
Tip Junkie handmade projects

3 comments:

Kym @ Travel Babbles said...

Those are so unique and ubber cute!

Unknown said...

How cute and fun! I put a bunch of those mini pumpkins out and my 16-month old plays with them frequently...I don't know if they'll make it to Halloween! I love how these could easily stand up to the toddlers and they still look so cute!

Carla

Kathi said...

Just found you on Mingle Monday. I love these pumpkins. What a great idea and thanks for the tutorial. I hope you will stop by and say hello. Have a great Halloween!