11.21.2011

Simple Hotel Sleep Solutions

Have you ever slept in a hotel only to be woken by sunlight through the blinds, light peeking through the bottom of the door or people crashing through the halls.

Look familiar??  I'm sure the sunrise is beautiful.


Here is a few hours later about 9 or 10 am when the sun is in full force.



Well this may not be a problem for everyone, but for me I occasionally work nights that require me to check into a hotel anywhere from 1 am to 6 am.  Checking in at these times only means that it will be difficult to sleep past noon.  There are a few things that I do upon check-in that help aide me in getting a good nights rest and may help you in the future.
Always ask for a room at the end of a hall.  I don't care about the walk, but I make sure I am away from the elevators and ice/vending machines.  I also make sure I am not placed near the house keepers laundry room or storage closet.
Next tell the front desk attendant that your room will not require cleaning and to not call or knock on the door.
When I finally make it to my room, one of the first things to take care of is those pesky curtains.  A simple solution is to take a pants hangar from the closet and pinch off those curtains.


There's was no point in taking a picture with the room light off since you'd see nothing but darkness!!!

When it is time to turn in for the night, roll up an extra bath towel and place it at the bottom of the door.


This keeps all light out from the hall.

Now that we have the room dark, how do we eliminate the noise.   The only two things, other than room placement, is to run the bathroom fan and wear earplugs.  The bathroom fan is easy.  If you have never worn earplugs to bed, it may take a little getting used too.  When you're laying there silent and still, with earplugs in, you will hear your heartbeat.  Odd to say the least but you will definitely block out all noise this way.

No point to this picture, just some ugly curtains.


Hopefully you will try some of these simple solutions and make your rest period at a hotel more peaceful.

Steve

1 comment:

Mellissa Rose said...

I found you from The Chatty Mommy's Friday follow. My hubby & I carry a white noise machine to hotels with us. It is the only thing that blocks the noise for us. We sleep with it wherever we go.