11.17.2010

Running

For all of you that have never run a day in your life, I was one of you.  I hated running! That's why I never played soccer and quit basketball, it was just not something I enjoyed.  Two years after my oldest was born, I decided that enough was enough.  I had gained a bunch of weight and nothing was working to take those extra pounds off.  I have struggled for years to stay at a weight that made me happy, and I have the stretch marks to show I tried, but DIETS DON'T WORK! 

So, as my New Year's Resolution for 2008, I decided I was going to become a runner.  For all of you that's never done it, the first step is to commit to it, once you've done that, you are on your way.  My next step was figuring out how to go about running, and what I needed.  I went to my local running store and they told me what shoe would fit my foot best.  Your shoes are the most important thing you need, besides stretching, this is one of the best things about it, it's not that expensive, all you need are your shoes.  Once I had my shoes, I found a running schedule.  It tells you if you want to run a 5K, 10K, 1/2 or full marathon, how to go about it.  There are a couple of websites to check out. Front Runner, Runner's WorldCool Running, just to name a few.

Three months from beginning, I was running a 5K, 3.1 miles, in 30 minutes, and I was down 20 lbs.  It felt great!  I continued that until I got pregnant with my second child in January of 2009.  I continued to walk during that pregnancy at 1.5 for 30 minutes, and continued to feel great.  I was in much better health and had an easy delivery.  I still gained weight, but it came off pretty easily.

I am now working on a 10K for New Year's and am going to begin training for a 1/2 marathon as my 2011 resolution.  Don't get me wrong, there are days I struggle with myself and don't want to do it.  Some days I don't , and take a break, and others I work through it.  All and all, I'm proud of myself because I am the only one that can do the work and I'm working to make myself look and feel better.  I will keep you all posted on the progress and hope to hear your stories.  Maybe you can join me doing OUR first 1/2 marathon together!

Love, BJ

No comments: