12.31.2012

New Year's Traditions, Resolutions and Superstitions

Happy New Year's Eve all!  I hope that you all had a wonderful holiday season, and are ready for what the New Year has in store, I know I sure am.

We had a beautiful Christmas.  There is nothing better than seeing your kids eyes on Christmas morning!  Each and every gift is a surprise and excitement, it makes me feel like a kid again.

One of my favorite things about the new year is reading superstitions, celebrating traditions, and saying that I have resolutions, most of which I break before days end.  I'm going to try really hard this year to stick to my resolutions, which I'm going to share, I figure if I write them down, I might have a better chance of following them.

Let's start with superstitions.  Here are a couple of websites I look at every year to refresh my memory of the things I should and shouldn't do,  Snopes.com and Happywink.org.  Some of the superstitions I have done for years because they were passed down as a tradition, others I have picked up as an adult and added to the traditions.

Kissing at Midnight, well that goes without saying.  I've also heard that whomever you are with at midnight is who you will spend the year with.

Nothing goes out, this is one we read last year, and figured what would it hurt to try?  I'm all about trying new things, and sticking with what works.

New Clothes, I really like this one.  I like saving one thing I received for Christmas and wearing it on New Years Day, it's usually a piece of workout clothes, since I usually start my eating better and getting on the treadmill on New Year's Day.

Food, this one has been passed down for years.  We always eat Pork of some sort, my uncle's cabbage recipe, and black eye peas, I found a new recipe to try this year.    Each helps with luck, money or good fortune, all of which I'll be glad to have.

A couple of traditions that I do myself is clean, I mean really clean.  I make sure I donate anything I don't need anymore, clean every nook and cranny, including cabinets,  scrub everything, and wash all our clothes.  I like the thought that if the house is clean going into the new year, it might have a chance of staying that way, but with three little boys, it's just wishful thinking.

I burn a bayberry candle into the new year, here is a little history into that and there is always money placed outside to bring money into the new year.

This years Resolutions aren't much different than years past, I want to lose weight and make better food choices.  I've been trying to lose weight for a while now, but fell back into old habits over the holidays, and I know it's nobody's fault but my own.  I have actually started today, I figured, why wait until tomorrow to do something good for myself that I can start today?  I've been tracking my calories in My fitnesspal and went and got on the treadmill, granted I didn't jog, but it was better than nothing.  I plan on running at least one 5K this year, but would love to train for a half marathon.  I need to work on getting out of my own mind, I let my mind take over and tell myself that I'm tired and can't do it, when I know I can!  That will be my true test this year, to not listen to my head.

I would love to have the chance to write more.  I miss blogging, and all of you.  I plan on writing at least 3 times a week, that's the goal, if I get a chance to write more, I will, but something is better than what I've been doing.  Somedays it's just really hard with the two little ones, they want no part of me sitting at the computer when I can be playing with them.

My biggest goal this year is to pinch pennies more.  I'm a pretty good couponer and thrifty shopper, but I want to be better.  I want to save more money so that we can enjoy the things we do more.  I'm really bad at not wanting to go anywhere or do anything when we are on vacation, but we need to do more, let the boys try new things and I need not worry about the money, but I do.  I'm really bad at spending money on the boys, and not myself.  If you were to look in my closet I can tell you that I have had clothes in there for years, yes years, some over six.  That's pretty bad!! I would rather buy the boys clothes than myself.

With that being said, I hope that you all have an amazing New Year's!  Be safe, have fun and be ready for what's to come in the New Year!

Love always!! BJ


No comments: