6.12.2012

Delicious Greens- Bietola e Patate

Here is a recipe that I grew up eating in my Nunny's home.  It was one of those things that we ate during the summer when her garden had grown fresh veggies.  My Nunny called this recipe Minestra but while researching it is Bietola e Patate  or Potatoes and Swiss chard. I'm sure if you've never had Swiss chard or even if you have, this recipe will having you change your mind over it.  I've been making it for the past two summer for my family, and my boys love it.  It's a great way to get them to eat their greens.




Ingredients:
3 bundles of Swiss chard
3 cloves Garlic
1 package bacon
1 onion
2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
salt and pepper


1.  In a pot, bring water to boil with Swiss chard, once boiling turn down to medium low and let cook for about 2 hours.
2.   In a separate large pot bring water to a boil, then add the potatoes, cook the potatoes until medium.  You don't want them soft.
3.  In a large skillet brown onion, bacon and garlic. (Do not drain the grease)
4.  When the potatoes and swiz chard are finished, add them to the skillet with onion, bacon and garlic.  
5.  Add Salt and pepper to taste




This recipe can be eaten as a meal or as a side.  This is the last recipe my Nunny taught me to make before she passed away.  I am so thankful that I learned and hope to pass it down to my boys.  


If you are looking for a tasty breakfast recipe, head over to iBlog4me, there is a delicious one to try.  While you're there, add yourself to the blog directory, if you were there, you need to send us a 125x125 button, there is no more linky tools!  


Hope you have a Tasty Tuesday!

1 comment:

Mikki said...

It looks really good. I just wish I could taste yours before I make some. I don't think I've ever had any!

Thanks so much for joining Flock Together on 6/12 at Mom’s Best Nest . You're welcome to join in this week at 6 p.m. tonight!