6.19.2014

Camping 101

Good Thursday Morning all!  It has been a while since posting, and I have missed you all.  Life has been busy, summer is in full swing and fun lies everywhere.

If you didn't already know, we are a camping family.  I grew up going camping with my parents, from towing our little 21' Prowler, to  parking our 34 1/2 Coachman at Big Bear Lake in West Virginia.  I have always loved it, and think it is one of the best ways to spend quality time as a family.  Camping is also a great way to teach your children many life lessons.

When we started camping as a family D was 6 1/2 months old.  We have gone every year since then to Myrtle Beach with my in-laws.  For the first 5 years we were lucky enough to be able to share their space in their RV.
 We spent many years loving the space we were able to share as a family.  It was a great way for us to become close, learn new things about each other, and my boys became close with their grandparents.  When we had little man, we grew too big to fit on the couch in the RV, and finally decided to purchase a camper of our own.  It was one of the best purchases we have made since being together.  We still go camping with the in-laws every summer, we just don't invade their space any more.



Choosing a campground has been pretty easy for us.  We try new campgrounds every season, and learn what we like and don't like, which is a really great way to decide if we will be going back. 

A must for choosing a spot is full hook up.  Call me a diva, or what you will, but I have to have full hook up.  For new campers, that is where a campground has, water, electric and sewage.  I like to be able to go to the bathroom in my own space, take a shower in my own shower, and run the air conditioner so that I don't have to sweat to death, especially in South Carolina in August!  Not every campground has all three.  Some people don't need all those things, it's just a matter of what you can and can't live without.  Many campground have very nice bath houses which many people use instead of their campers, other bath houses, aren't so great.  My favorite bathhouse is at the beach, and I enjoy extra long showers! (the best showers I take all year long)

If you can't afford a camper, there is the option to camp in a tent, or many campgrounds have cabins.  Campers come in many different sizes, shapes and price ranges. We are starting out with one that works for us now.  When the boys get older, the size of our camper will probably have to grow with them. We don't need some enormous, lavish camper, with all the bells and whistles.  We need a place to keep us dry when it rains, warm in the cool spring and fall air, and cold in the summer months. It carries the things we need and so far has been a great little home when we aren't in our Ohio home. Don't think that the option to buy is out, you might be surprised! 

This post is just going to be the first of many camping posts.  I'm going to write about the different campgrounds that we have stayed, what I like and don't like about each.  Tips and tricks for camping with kids.  The things I can't live without while we are in our home away from home.  Items we have made or adjusted to make camping and/or towing easier.  

I'm really excited to start writing again.  There will be recipe and workout posts also.  I have missed you all, and can't wait to hear from you soon!  

Have a beautiful day!  BJ

No comments: